In 1921 the first version of the circuit was 14km. At the time, several public roads were part of the circuit. Three years later, the first 24-hour race for cars took place. There were a few fatal accidents in the 1960s. Due to these accidents, the protests against the circuit grew. The Belgian Grand Prix did not appear for the first time in 1969. The renewed circuit, with a length of 7 km, was put into use in 1979. Until 2000, about half of the circuit consisted of public roads. At the time, a new public road was built, which permanently closed the circuit to normal traffic.